Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Micro Blog: Carly Hall


Are you a new student at TCA…..how about some advice?
By: Carly Hall (second term)


I shall begin with the obvious….wash and press your uniform regularly.  Hem your pants. Make sure you trim your nails.  Sharpen your knives.  Wash your hands.  Wear your hat when entering the kitchen.  Please make sure you get all of your hair under your hat. Take your apron and towels off before entering the restroom.  Always keep a spare uniform close by. Write your recipes. Read your recipes. Don’t try to get anything past the Chef’s…..it won’t work.  Have fun.

Now for the less obvious…. You will have to take classes other than just kitchen. It would be in your best interest to volunteer for events. If you do not know something, ask.  Be on time for class.  Don’t miss class. Be professional. Be respectful.  You aren’t always going to get along with your classmates.   You aren’t going to be able to cook like you do at home.  Write your recipes. Read your recipes.  Learn how to convert recipes. Taste your food as you go.  Wear gloves. Don’t be afraid to salt your dishes.  Read the chapters you are assigned. Don’t be nervous (I’m still working on this one and it’s obvious, isn’t it Chef A?).  Learn your LAND OF G!  Have fun.

Some of you may be starting college for the first time and others may be making a career change but whatever your reason for going to school, you are now walking into the halls of TCA as first term students. Congratulations! This is a school where you can get a $47,000 education or a $147,000 education….it’s all up to you (Thanks for the motivation Chef Eric). You will learn a lot about yourself in the first term.  Can you do this?  You will soon find out.  What do you want to do when you graduate?  Don’t know yet? Then take your time and see what unfolds. You have never heard of that food?  Try it and see if you like it. You can’t make a sunny-side up egg?  You will after your first term.  Also know that it is very difficult to prank Chef Eddie.

Don’t question your ability to learn and grow.  Have trust in yourself and you will do things you never imagined. When I read this quote from Brian Andreas it reminded me of how I felt during my first term.  The first time her laughter unfurled its wings in the wind, we knew that the world would never be the same. I knew my world would never be the same when I left the social work field and entered culinary school.  I hoped my new choices in life would bring me the happiness I was seeking and thus far, it has.  Every day I wake up with a smile on my face and the excitement of learning something new.  Now is the time to make your decisions…will culinary school make you smile and ignite your passions too?

Remember the Land of G…1 Gallon = 4 Quarts = 8 Pints = 16 cups = 256 Tablespoons = 768 Teaspoons
Burn it in your brain!


No comments:

Post a Comment